After a long spring/summer of discontent, the 2022 NFL season officially kicked off Thursday night with the Buffalo Bills and the Super Bowl champions Los Angeles Rams playing. The rest of the NFL will kick off on Sunday, September 11th, 2022.
One of the games on Sunday? The Baltimore Ravens visiting the New York Jets. An argument can be made that the Jets had the best offseason as they signed a plethora of free agents such as TE CJ Uzomah, OL Lake Tomlinson, and others. In addition, they drafted potential superstars in CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner and RB Bryce Hall.
With that being said, let's check out this matchup between the Ravens and Jets.
What is expected:
- Zach Wilson will not play in Week 1 as he is still recovering from a knee injury suffered in a preseason game against the Eagles. Coach Robert Salah announced that the earliest Wilson can return to action in Week Four against the Steelers.
- So who will start? Former Ravens QB Joe Flacco. This will be the first time Flacco faces his old team as he piled 96 wins with the Ravens including a Super Bowl XLVII win.
- The Ravens were basically ravaged by injuries and Covid-19 last season but seem to be in full strength as QB Lamar Jackson is 100%. There is one problem: Jackson wants to be paid and although Jackson placed a contract extension deadline to Friday, more than likely Jackson will be a free agent after the 2023 season.
Just The Facts:
- The Jets haven't won a season opener since 2018 when QB Sam Darnold was QB (remember him?)
- The Jets haven't won a home season opener since 2015.
- The Jets are a 7.5-point underdog against the Ravens.
- Ravens QB Lamar Jackson will begin his case on why we deserved to get paid by making the Jets his first target.
- All eyes will be on 2022 NFL Draft Picks RB Bryce Hall, CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, WR Garrett Wilson and DE Jermaine Johnson as they will be playing in their first NFL game.
Who is on the Injury Report?
New York Jets:
- OUT: QB Zach Wilson (Knee), OL Duane Brown (shoulder)
- Questionable: DB DJ Reed (Knee), OL Connor McDermott (Ankle), DB Justin Hardee (Calf), OL George Fant (Knee)
This will be a revenge game for QB Joe Flacco and will be a great placeholder until Zack Wilson returns. The Ravens defense will have a big game as safety Marcus Williams will get an interception and DT Michael Pierce gets a sack. As for the offense? QB Lamar Jackson will start out the season strong as he will throw for 270 yards with two passing touchdowns. Running back Kenyan Drake will get a rushing touchdown as well.
It looks like this will be the fifth straight season-opening loss for the Jets.
Final score: Ravens 35 Jets 21