#4 Hunterdon Central stays red hot with huge win over Edison to open playoffs

Hunterdon Central Red Devils opened the first round of the state playoffs with a dominate 20-0 victory over the Edison Eagles.

It was a white out in Flemington, NJ today as alumni packed Stewart Field with the smell of fresh burgers and hot dogs on the grill kicked off the pregame festivities early.

It was all celebrations today for the Devils as the night of the program’s 50th year anniversary at Stewart Field was filled with red and white balloons lining the fences around the field as Red Devil’s honored their 16 seniors on Senior night.

Not even an hour delay caused by the buses in Edison could slow down the Red Devils as they showed why they are the 4th rank team in the state by nj.com and currently the only remaining undefeated team in the state.

Sean Creter started the game off with some fireworks as he wasted no time getting the scoring started for Central.

Winning the opening face-off and slicing through the defense he reached the back of the net just 5 seconds into the game.  The Maryland commit is the team’s second leading scorer and one of the top face-off players in the state.

The next play was much of the same as Creter continued his dominance in that X position as he scoops up the ground ball and pushes the ball down the field.

 Senior Dylan Johnson sets up a perfect pass to Chris Bill to push the game to 2-0 just 12 seconds into the game.

Unfortunely things didn’t get much better as Central controlled the ball for most of the first quarter finished up at an impressive 12-0 tally as the first quarter horn sounded.

Chris Bill and Sean Creter led the charge as their 3 goals apiece had Central up to 18-0 at half time.

At half-time, Central’s faithful were in high spirits as the school honored the program’s 1972 boys’ lacrosse team.  The program’s first lax team in school history had an incredible undefeated season and were presented with gifts honoring the 50th year of the program as well as a standing ovation from both teams and the fans in attendance.

The second half was controlled entirely by the Devil’s as many of the starters were moved to the bench making room for some seniors to get an opportunity to play.

The Red Devils stingy defensive continued their dominance in the second half as Dillion Baehr enjoyed a clean night in the cage with only 1 shot attempt on goal.

This shut out becomes the first of the season for one of the state’s best defenses led by senior captain Frankie Lentine who will be continuing his lacrosse career at Division 1 Stony Brook.

Dylan Johnson, the team’s leader scoring with 40 goals showed an impressive performance using his versatility to set up his teammates finishing with an impressive 4 assist on the night as well as using his speed to get two impressive stick checks leading to multiple Edison turnovers.

Hunterdon Central Sets Sights on Quarterfinals

Hunterdon Central will now shift its focus on the quarterfinals as they face off against familiar foe Ridge this Saturday, May 21.

Stay tune as Jersey Sporting News will be on the cover for quarterfinal action this weekend.

Website | + posts